Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Gettin' into a routine...

Getting into a routine has really (I mean really!) helped with the transition of living in a new city for this family.  Leading up to this week, I admit I was wondering if we had made the right decision for this so-called year-long family adventure.  Now I realize that is probably a very normal feeling a mom experiences when her kids' worlds have just been totally rearranged.  We are really trying to refer to our apartment and Ballston neighborhood as our "home" with these kids and I think the newness of riding and pushing buttons on elevators,throwing trash down a trash shoot, and opening our new mailbox is rubbing off. There are finally no tears about who gets to do all those things first. 

                                                               First Day of 2nd Grade Photo
                      (Sawyer has a cold...probably from putting his mouth on the metro rails again)

Natalie has officially begun life as a 2nd grader at Ashlawn Elementary. She says it is "waaaaayyy different" than Parkview.  There are 4 second grade classes in their own wing and they only get one recess here.  I've been taking her each day on the city bus and picking her up on the city bus ($$$$), so she is going to start riding the school bus on Monday (she's not too happy).  I think I might just die if I have to wait at the bus stop for 15 minutes every afternoon in 90 degree heat and humidity for another week...Sawyer feels the same.
Sawyer has been busing helping me shop. The Trader Joe's in Arlington doesn't have a Yeti to find on its shelves, but a big gray teddy bear (he wanted me to take this picture to show Nate the surprising difference!).  He also as enrolled in an online Kindergarten which will be supplemented with many trips to the National Zoo and Smithsonian Museums, and a class in Street Smarts which I am working with him on constantly.  He has decided he wants to take a "Ninja Class", so on Monday he starts his first Judo/MMA class for kids at Steve's Crossfit/MMA Gym in Clarendon, two Metro (that's the DC-way of saying subway) stops away. 

Steve also started his official work at the National Science Foundation this week. His schedule is getting filled up with exciting travels and presentations across the country beginning next week in Vegas for two days and Boston next month.  He is enjoying the challenges of work which include days upon days of background checks and security clearance. Below is a picture of his office (or cubicle?) the day he arrived and a morning goodbye hug to the kids at the bus stop outside our apartment. 

As summer starts to wind down (or is maybe I am saying that in hopes that it does soon), we have had to say goodbye to our beloved pool. The kids drew pictures for the life guard (who has a uncanny resemblance to Khal Drogo...odd) and we waved as the gate shut until Memorial Day. Now they are learning how to play Monopoly and other indoor games. I have enjoyed riding my bike (in my living room) and watching the national conventions to keep my mind from exploding while exercising indoors...but we are making it fun! Bill Clinton is a great riding partner. 


We have all decided as a family we need a trip to the woods and the wild. So we rented a car for this Saturday and are going to stay a night at the Shenandoah National Park to get our hiking and trail fix.  It looks beautiful and peaceful so I will keep you posted on that next adventure Cheers!! 



2 comments:

  1. Shenandoah IS absolutely beautiful, you will love it! Sounds like life is really different but what an amazing challenge for your family. Hug and love to you all. Tell Steve to give Boston a "How ah ya?" from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next weekend trip a little more south??? *wink,wink* *nudge,nudge*

    ReplyDelete