We had the great opportunity to borrow furniture for our 13th floor apartment, but it was quite shocking when someone else's stuff arrives and you have to unpack it. I just packed up the whole house at home and then to unload a million boxes was quite overwhelming. I think Steve thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown as I unwrapped the MASSIVE round chair (which has since become the kids favorite place to chill out). I chilled out and we are appreciating the generosity of another Einstein fellow who we have still not met yet.
Our family is embarking on a new journey of living in Washington DC for the 2012-13 school year. Steve has been awarded a fellowship at the National Science Foundation and the whole family agreed to make it an adventure in the city. Let the memories be made....
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Hello DC!
We are here! Wow. We have certainly had a couple days of crazy surprises and interesting moments. The red-eye plane ride itself proved to be an valuable experience in test parental patience. Natalie cried most of the way, missing her neighbors, Sam, Hailey, etc...and of course explained how a large piece of her heart was "missing" and it was never growing back. We knew that jeg-lag wasn't going to help this situation either...sweet. Sawyer slept almost all night wiggling and contorting himself and kicking me so I didn't sleep at all. Steve, on the other hand, was in the next row over and slept nice and soundly, which gave me hope one of us was going to be able to handle this big move to the city!
We had the great opportunity to borrow furniture for our 13th floor apartment, but it was quite shocking when someone else's stuff arrives and you have to unpack it. I just packed up the whole house at home and then to unload a million boxes was quite overwhelming. I think Steve thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown as I unwrapped the MASSIVE round chair (which has since become the kids favorite place to chill out). I chilled out and we are appreciating the generosity of another Einstein fellow who we have still not met yet.
The apartment itself is pretty dang awesome! The security in the place is incredible with key locks, a 24hr concierge, an amazing pool with a life guard, computer room and party room. I feel like I'm in a hotel and Sawyer keeps calling it that! We rented a two bedroom and two bath and thank goodness it has a a washer and dryer in the apartment (even if it is in the kitchen). Our deck is amazing and 22 feet long and I just pray that I get over the sheer panic of having the kids out on it....but it provides fresh air which is what I clearly miss about home already.
Each of us have had our surprises already. Sawyer is surprised how much he loves the elevators and all the places to run and explore. Natalie is surprised that there is a Fro-Yo store (just like Menchies!) in the ground floor of the apartment. Steve is realizing how cool the Zip-Cars are since we are auto-less and I am shocked how how little the selection of soy milk and other non-dairy milks the stores have. DANG IT! But over all we are having an memorable move-in experience and can't wait to go visit the Capitol Mall and Smithsonian tomorrow morning!
We had the great opportunity to borrow furniture for our 13th floor apartment, but it was quite shocking when someone else's stuff arrives and you have to unpack it. I just packed up the whole house at home and then to unload a million boxes was quite overwhelming. I think Steve thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown as I unwrapped the MASSIVE round chair (which has since become the kids favorite place to chill out). I chilled out and we are appreciating the generosity of another Einstein fellow who we have still not met yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is so cool Katie! What an exciting adventure for all of you, but especially the kids. Good luck with everything and look forward to seeing more posts! :-) Love JJ
ReplyDeleteSounds great. Dave wants to crash on the round chair when he visits. I'd like to unpack someone else's furniture in our house. Sounds nice! Thanks for the update & we'll keep checking! - Jenny
ReplyDeleteKatie, it sounds like the adventure has begun on an overall good start (with some twists and turns thrown in...). The place you're staying sounds amazing. I bet your kids love having a pool right there for them to use whenever they want. :)
ReplyDeleteWishing you the best for your first week in D.C.!