...As new discoveries are made, new truths discovered, and manners and opinions change.
~Thomas Jefferson
This was probably one of the most memorable weeks of our year here in DC so far (do I always say that?..it is starting to feel like it)...but this was REALLY memorable. Steve was attending a conference in Baltimore, so the kids and I hitched a ride on Amtrak with him to check out the city. I have heard so many great things about the city, but I have never had a reason to go there. We stayed at the Inner Harbor and decided to do the historical boat tour. Everyone told us to go to the aquarium, but since we were just in Monterey last spring, I didn't think anything could compare. So we opted for the historical boats. We toured the US Constellation, a Civil War battleship, a WWII submarine and a Coast Guard ship that was at Pearl Harbor during the invasion. We loved the ships and the Inner Harbor itself. Looking back, this is the kind of weekend I imagined we would have all the time this year...so I am glad we got a chance to visit Baltimore!
 |
| Amtrak to Baltimore...with dad dressed up all spiffy! |
j
 |
| US Constellation....Civil War Battle Ship. |
 |
| Baltimore in the morning. |
 |
| Boats in Baltimore. |
 |
| Planning our next big family trip. Fingers crossed. |
 |
| Sometimes you just have to go to Hard Rock Cafe in a big city. The kids got a lesson on Don Henley whilst sitting under his jacket. |
 |
| Sawyer bringing Steve his morning coffee...a bit of a tradition in our apartment now. |
We were invited by our friends Guatam, Pinky and Siddarth to an Indian Holi Festival at a near by park to welcome SPRING...luckily the sun showed her face and a little warmth to us on that fun Saturday afternoon. The kids loved throwing and wiping Holi powder on everyone and wishing "Happy Holi" for a few hours. I think this is a tradition we need to get started in Bellingham...very memorable and fun. Cheers to Indian culture for making things brighter and the world more colorful! The kids will always remember this Spring.
 |
| Happy Holi! |
 |
| Holi Kids! |
Steve was invited to a small event at National Geographic for a movie premiere about global warming, which just so happened to be hosting our new Secretary of State, the honorable John Kerry. Steve was able to rub elbows with the Secret Service and Kerry for a bit, while I sat at home totally mad I couldn't find a babysitter for the evening...
...however...I did get my turn to take on DC with the honorable ladies from NOVA MMA for a night on the town. Thanks, I needed that!

Though the week started off and continued to be awesome...the highlight was Marriage Equality Rally at the US Supreme Court on Monday and Tuesday. The kids and I donned red attire, as was requested, as I gave them a civics lesson about the Constitution and equality under the law. We rallied with homemade signs, which were tossed when they saw the free "real" signs, and waved them proudly with others who came that day to celebrate and promote needed progress in this country. Natalie became my little activist, waving, cheering, asking profound questions and feeling empowered. She was interviewed by a Swedish newspaper reporter and also watched in awe as those with differing opinions shared moments of tension on the Supreme Court steps. When we got home she hung her rally sign on her wall and asked if we could go down again tomorrow. She said she was hoping she'd be in books someday...so I told her it would be her choice what kind of citizen she wanted to be and that history was certainly made today. I love her big mind!



 |
| Natalie's homemade sign. I love it. |
 |
| Sawyer's Equal Marriage Rally Sign. WOW! Wow! WOW! |
No comments:
Post a Comment