I vote for the future of my kids...for their freedom, their choices and the world that I think will give them the most opportunities. I want to show them what it means to live in a democracy and the power individuals have to make decisions about their future...so we had fun this election! It is no mystery that I love Barack Obama and think that he promotes a climate of acceptance and progress for this country. It is important for me to share those values with my kids so they understand the necessity of civic participation. ....and, well...elections are just plain fun!
I knew we needed to go all out while we were living here...so we ordered our Obama shirts: I had a traditional Obama/Biden shirt, Natalie had a "sporty" (as she likes to call it) Obama 44, and Sawyer had a "Ninjas for Obama" shirt...Steve had to work, so we decided not to buy him the "Obama is my homeboy shirt". Nat and I painted our nails with Red/White/Blue, knitted red cowls, bought American flags, and we planned our election dinner. We headed down to the White House for our first stop, only to find it blocked off as they prepared for the night of either protests or celebrations. There were snipers on the roof and the Secret Service were overly cautious of people like us getting too close. We headed off to the Washington Monument and then toward the capitol for our election day tour. I hope they remember our silly day...
For dinner, Natalie learned at school that Obama's favorite foods are pizza and chili...so shazam!...our dinner was made. Homemade pizza and chili....mmmmm.
I was the only one who waited up to watch the results...but I celebrated with all my friends on my digital neighborhoods of Facebook, texting and Twitter when Romney FINALLY conceded at about 1:00am. I was also happy to see that Washington state also moved in the direction to legitimize families that were already legitimate in my mind.
I hope my kids remember this year! On another note, we won tickets to the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in a few weeks at the White House...where President Obama always gives a message to the crowd. Natalie is overjoyed (but maybe that's because last year, her rock star crush, Adam Levine and Maroon 5, was the band that played that night...I have had to explain it might be someone else this year...she's keeping her fingers crossed though).
Here are some pictures of our Election Day 2012, Washington DC.
![]() |
| Little Patriot |
![]() |
| Having fun making Obama's favorite food: Pizza! |
![]() |
| Obama Pizza and Chili...memorable combination. |
![]() |
| I am OVERJOYED that we didn't turn back the clock for this girl's future! I vote for her! |







Fabulous post, K!!! The crazy part for me was realizing that we heard of the victory just after 8 p.m., and you were up as if it was New Year's Eve! Cheers!!
ReplyDelete